Barry T. Smith
Digital team leader, front end web developer, and UX designer in Louisville, KY.
I want the web to be easy to use for everyone.
What I value
- Accessibility and inclusion
- Function over form
- Big-picture thinking
- Perpetual self-guided learning
Current learning and development
- Business mindset
- REST API creation
- PHP + MySQL
- Personal health and well-being
- Introduced Responsive Web Design (RWD) as an internal standard for Humana, a Fortune 100 company
- Raised the bar for Humana's internal products to a cutting-edge web experience despite significant technical barriers. Currently establishing an internal baseline digital experience standard to be in effect company-wide for the $40 billion company
- Single-handedly designed and coded UI for a new responsive intranet portal serving over 55,000 employees
- Designed and built two custom SharePoint master pages currently in use on hundreds of SharePoint sites
- Challenged the way people think about the web by speaking, writing, and presenting on accessibility, simplicity, and "Web Acumen"
Design & UX Team Lead
(Internal title: Process Manager, HR Collaboration, Communication, & Innovation) Humana, Louisville, KY (11/2013-present)
I lead a talented team of designers and front end developers in human resources. We work on intranet properties serving over 55,000 associates.
- Integrating a business (HR) team into existing Agile development processes
- Heavy influence on internal digital standards and digital brand execution
- Hands-on coding and design work as well as guiding the vision for the future of our corporate intranet
- Building strong relationships and influence with business partners by delighting them with products of unprecedented quality
- Creating reusable and scalable solutions such as responsive bootstrap-like web templates, mobile-friendly email templates, and complex SharePoint-powered tools
Web Designer & Front End Developer
(Internal title: Tech Consultant) Humana, Louisville, KY (1/2012-11/2013)
Brought in to a small web team managing HR sites, I expanded the team's capabilities with modern front end and design skills.
- Introduced responsive web design to the company internally with highly interactive and engaging reports
- Created responsive UI for custom intake/ticketing system
- Developed two custom-branded SharePoint master pages deployed on hundreds of internal SharePoint sites
- Graphic/logo design, custom coding, and overseeing projects including branding third-party software
- Extensive cross-browser support ranging from IE7 to current-gen Mobile Safari
Freelance Web and Creative Services
Independent Consultant, Louisville, KY (2010-2015)
Focusing on web and graphic design, I also provided photography, videography, music composition, and audio engineering.
- Logo design, including hand-lettering
- Full-range branding campaigns including videos, web development, print, and audio
- Album artwork
- Wedding videography and portrait photography
- Music compositions and arrangements by commission
Creative Arts Director
Greenville Christian Church, Greenville, IN (2004-2012)
I led a contemporary music program which encompassed disciplines ranging from leading a "rock band" to arranging music for string quartets. I also provided video production, graphic design, web design, photography, network and computer admin, staging and lighting, and more.
- Developed the church's first CMS-driven website
- Created a robust music library website housing hundreds of custom made charts, recordings, and other music assets. This helped a mostly novice band grow to play at an unexpectedly high level.
- Created my own guitar and music curriculum
- Began mentoring relationships which remain alive today
University of Louisville, 2006—Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry with honors, minor in Communications
Contact and more
*My views are my own