Barry T. Smith
Digital HR and UX team leader in Louisville, KY.
I want to help people love their job.
What I value
- Accessibility and inclusion
- Helping people be their best self
- Mentoring and creating a culture of growth and development
- Perpetual self-guided learning
- Introduced Responsive Web Design (RWD) as an internal standard for Humana, a Fortune 100 company
- Raised the bar for Humana's internal products to a cutting-edge web experience despite significant technical barriers.
- Single-handedly designed and coded UI for a new responsive intranet portal serving over 55,000 employees
- Designed and built two custom SharePoint master pages currently in use on hundreds of SharePoint sites
- Challenged the way people think about the web by speaking, writing, and presenting on accessibility, simplicity
HR Digital Experience and Technology Leader
(Internal title: Process Manager, HR Digital: UX, Learning & Talent Technologies)
Humana, Louisville, KY (5/2017-present)
I lead a talented team of technical experts ranging from system administration to front-end design. I focus on creating a great employment experience for my team and all Humana associates.
- Business ownership and digital strategy of key HR platforms
- Oracle/Taleo talent platform
- Cornerstone On Demand Learning Management System (LMS)
- Sitecore Content Management System (CMS) for intranet content delivery
- UX SME and strategy
- Product Management of key HR Digital products
- Leading a team of UX designers creating high-quality digital experiences such as intranet sites and applications
- Advocate and speaker for inclusion and accessibility
- Advancing Human-Centered Design in HR
Design & UX Team Lead
(Internal title: Process Manager, HR Digital: Design & UX)
Humana, Louisville, KY (11/2013-5/2017)
- Integrating a business (HR) team into existing agile development processes
- Heavy influence on internal digital standards and digital brand execution
- Hands-on coding and design work as well as guiding strategy of our corporate intranet
- Building strong relationships and influence with business partners by delighting them with products of unprecedented quality
- Creating reusable and scalable solutions such as responsive bootstrap-like web templates, mobile-friendly email templates, and complex SharePoint-powered tools
Web Designer & Front End Developer
(Internal title: Tech Consultant) Humana, Louisville, KY (1/2012-11/2013)
Brought in to a small web team managing HR sites, I expanded the team's capabilities with modern front end and design skills.
- Introduced responsive web design to the company internally with highly interactive and engaging reports
- Created responsive UI for custom intake/ticketing system
- Developed two custom-branded SharePoint master pages deployed on hundreds of internal SharePoint sites
- Graphic/logo design, custom coding, and overseeing projects including branding third-party software
- Extensive cross-browser support ranging from IE7 to current-gen Mobile Safari
Freelance Web and Creative Services
Independent Consultant, Louisville, KY (2010-2015)
Focusing on web and graphic design, I also provided photography, videography, music composition, and audio engineering.
- Logo design, including hand-lettering
- Full-range branding campaigns including videos, web development, print, and audio
- Album artwork
- Wedding videography and portrait photography
- Music compositions and arrangements by commission
Creative Arts Director
Greenville Christian Church, Greenville, IN (2004-2012)
Music performance, direction, & arranging; video production; graphic & web design; photography; network and computer admin; staging & lighting; mentorship; and more.
- Developed the church's first CMS-driven website
- Created a robust music library website housing hundreds of custom made charts, recordings, and other music assets. This helped a mostly novice band grow to play at an unexpectedly high level.
- Created my own guitar and music curriculum
- Began mentoring relationships which remain alive today
University of Louisville, 2006—Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry with honors, minor in Communications