Barry T. Smith
Digital HR and User Experience team leader in Louisville, KY.
Special Note: This resume is hosted on txti, a service I built.
- Txti is included as part of Facebook's Free Basics initiative
- It has been featured on Canada's CBC radio
- It inspired an entire movement in the web community known as "brutalist web design" that put the focus on simplicity, usability, and performance over aesthetics
- Txti hosts nearly half a million web pages created by people from all over the world
I want to help people love their job.
I'm privileged to get the opportunity to do this in HR at Humana, and I want to put the voices of my 50,000 teammates in front of my own by using methodologies such as human-centered design and service design.
I've also spent a great deal of time reading and researching the philosophy of Work: why and how should we think about work? I've enjoyed sharing what I've learned with my teammates to promote a culture of loving and enjoying your work.
- Advocating for the consumer: via human-centered design or as an accessibility ally
- Hiring top talent, mentoring, and creating a culture of growth and development in my teams
- I learn every day
- Challenged digital mindsets by speaking, writing, and presenting on accessibility, simplicity, and best practices
- Successfully managed the sunset of our legacy ATS, continuity of our new employee onboarding experience, and administration of our Learning Management System through a disruptive Workday implementation
- Introduced Responsive Web Design (RWD) as an internal standard for Humana
- Raised the bar for Humana's internal products to a cutting-edge web experience despite significant technical barriers
- Single-handedly designed and coded UI for a new responsive intranet portal that has received about three quarters of a billion page views
- Designed and built two custom SharePoint master pages currently in use on hundreds of SharePoint sites
HR Digital Experience and Technology Leader
(Internal title: Manager, Software Engineering, HR Digital: UX, Learning & Talent Technologies)
Humana, Louisville, KY (5/2017-present)
I lead a talented team ranging from front-end web development to human-centered experience design. I focus on creating a great employment experience for my team and all Humana associates.
- UX SME and strategy
- Product Management of key HR Digital products
- Leading a team of UX designers creating high-quality digital experiences such as intranet sites and applications
- Advocate and speaker for inclusion and accessibility
- Advancing Human-Centered Design in HR including introducing Service Design capabilities to HR
- Strategic consultation with Talent Acquisition team to align business goals with technology solutions
- New employee onboarding experience
- Lead day-1 onboarding experience through major transitions including a Workday implementation
- Manage vendor relationship and experience for pre-Day-1 new-hire concierge program
- Business ownership and digital strategy of key HR platforms
- Oracle/Taleo talent platform
- Cornerstone On Demand Learning Management System (LMS)
- Sitecore Content Management System (CMS) for intranet content delivery
Design & UX Team Lead
(Internal title: Process Manager, HR Digital: Design & UX)
Humana, Louisville, KY (11/2013-5/2017)
- Integrating a business (HR) team into existing agile development processes
- Heavy influence on internal digital standards and digital brand execution
- Hands-on coding and design work as well as guiding strategy of our corporate intranet
- Building strong relationships and influence with business partners by delighting them with products of unprecedented quality
- Creating reusable and scalable solutions such as responsive bootstrap-like web templates, mobile-friendly email templates, and complex SharePoint-powered tools
Web Designer & Front End Developer
(Internal title: Tech Consultant) Humana, Louisville, KY (1/2012-11/2013)
Brought in to a small web team managing HR sites, I expanded the team's capabilities with modern front end and design skills.
- Introduced responsive web design to the company internally with highly interactive and engaging reports
- Created responsive UI for custom intake/ticketing system
- Developed two custom-branded SharePoint master pages deployed on hundreds of internal SharePoint sites
- Graphic/logo design, custom coding, and overseeing projects including branding third-party software
- Extensive cross-browser support ranging from IE7 to current-gen Mobile Safari
Freelance Web and Creative Services
Independent Consultant, Louisville, KY (2010-2015)
Focusing on web and graphic design, I also provided photography, videography, music composition, and audio engineering.
- Logo design, including hand-lettering
- Full-range branding campaigns including videos, web development, print, and audio
- Album artwork
- Wedding videography and portrait photography
- Music compositions and arrangements by commission
Creative Arts Director
Greenville Christian Church, Greenville, IN (2004-2012)
Music performance, direction, & arranging; video production; graphic & web design; photography; network and computer admin; staging & lighting; mentorship; and more.
- Developed the church's first CMS-driven website
- Created a robust music library website housing hundreds of custom made charts, recordings, and other music assets. This helped a mostly novice band grow to play at an unexpectedly high level.
- Created my own guitar and music curriculum
- Began mentoring relationships which remain alive today
University of Louisville, 2006—Bachelor of Arts in Music Industry with honors, minor in Communications.